The Emotional Lives of Animals
"The evolution of man is the evolution of his consciousness."
|Click image for larger version.
- Charlotte Uhlenbroek
- Temple Grandin
Living Planet Report 2018
The Living Planet Report documents the state of the planet—including biodiversity, ecosystems, and demand on natural resources
and what it means for humans and wildlife. Published by WWF every two years, the report brings together a variety of research
to provide a comprehensive view of the health of the Earth.
Living Planet Report -- Past Issues.
Widely misinterpreted report still shows catastrophic animal decline | Nov. 1, 2018 - National Geographic
- 'Mama's Last Hug' Makes Case That Humans Are Not Alone In Experiencing Emotions | March 1, 2019 - Book Review - NPR
- Watch The Moment A Dying Chimpanzee Recognizes An Old Friend | October 24, 2017 - Video - NPR
- 'Mama’s Last Hug' draws parallels between human and ape emotions | Q&A with Frans DeWaal - March 11, 2019 - AJC
- Mama's Last Hug: Animal Emotions and What They Tell Us about Ourselves by Frans DeWaal | Amazon
- When Elephants Weep - The Emotional Lives of Animals | By Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson and Susan McCarthy
- Book Review: ‘When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals’ | PETA/Asia
- When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals | YouTube Video
- Book Review: “The Emotional Lives of Animals and Children” by Robin Lamont | Our Hen House
- Books About the Emotional Lives of Animals | Human Decisons
- "The Inner Life of Animals" by Peter Wohlleben | Canadian Geographic
In his new book The Inner Life of Animals, Peter Wohlleben offers a compassionate glimpse into the surprisingly complex emotional lives of creatures both wild and domestic.
- The Emotional Lives of Animals | Posted by Caroline Burgess-Pike | Feb. 7, 2019 | Million Dollar Vegan
- Ted Radio Hour - August 16, 2019 - Videos
- The Emotional Lives of Shelter Dogs, Part One
- World Animal Protection - Global Animal Network
- ‘Animal Reunions’: A Fascinating and Heartfelt PBS Film on the Power of Trust and Love
March 25, 2016 - by Marc Bekoff | Huffpost Blog
- EETA: Ethologists for the Ethical Treatment of Animals | Marc Bekoff and Jane Goodall (co-founders)
- How to Make a Documentary | by Jen Miller
A Detailed Guide for Visual Creatives and Storytellers
- Do Insects Have Emotions? | by JR Thorpe
- AWRN: Animal Welfare Research Network
- What insects can tell us about the origins of consciousness | FULL TEXT - PNAS
- The Jane Goodall Institute
- The Expressions of Emotions in Man and Animals | by Charles Darwin
- Theories of Emotion | by Gregory Johnson - Drexel University
Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Emotion in animals | Wikipedia
- Abstract: Animal Minds and Animal Emotions
By Marian Dawkins - University of Oxford | American Zoologist
- The Emotional Lives of Animals; Children and Animal Minds | Psychology Today
- The Exultant Ark: The Secret Emotional Lives of Animals | by Maria Popova - Brain Pickings
- Second Nature: The Inner Lives of Animals | by Jonathan Balcombe - Amazon
- Science and philosophy probe the emotional lives of animals | June 27, 2014 - The Philosopher's Zone
- After 2,500 Studies, It's Time to Declare Animal Sentience Proven
By Marc Bekoff - September 06, 2013 | LiveScience
Lab Research Dogs See Sun and Earth for the First Time | VIDEO - YouTube
- Animals and Humans Experience the Same Emotion | September 6, 2005 - PhysOrg
- Animals Do Have Emotions, But What Should We Call Them?
August 28, 2014 - by Vicki Croke | The Wild Life
- Emotions Linked to Healing in Humans and Animals
August 28, 2014 - by David Morris | Liberty Voice
- Animal Emotions - by Mary Carmichael - Newsweek | Townson University
- Maybe It’s Time to Take Animal Feelings Seriously - by Melissa Dahl | Science of Us
- Solitary Birds Gather for Noisy 'Funerals' | Posted by Andy Fell - UC Davis | Futurity
- Top Eight Animal Videos of 2016 | National Geographic
- The Animal 'Other': Self Definition, Social Identity and Companion Animals
Clinton R. Sanders, University of Connecticut
- Evolutionary Psychology | Allen MacNeill | Blog Posts
- The evolution of emotion: Charles Darwin's little-known psychology experiment
By Ferris Jabr - May 24, 2010 | Scientific American
- Prominent scientists sign declaration that animals have conscious awareness, just like us | io9
- The Cambridge Declaration on Consciousness | PDF File
"On this day of July 7, 2012, a prominent international group of cognitive neuroscientists, neuropharmacologists, neurophysiologists, neuroanatomists and computational neuroscientists gathered at The University of Cambridge to reassess the neurobiological substrates of conscious experience and related behaviors in human and non-human animals."
- What About Animal Consciousness? | Apologetics Press
- Self-Awareness in Animals | Science2.0
- Do Animals Know Who They Are? | by Marc Bekoff | Psychology Today
There are degrees of self-awareness in animals.
- Excerpt from Wild Justice | The Moral Lives of Animals | by Marc Bekoff and Jessica Pierce
- Animal Sentience and the Evolution of Emotion | by Tracy Basile - Animal Welfare Institute
- The Evolution of Animal Welfare | January 28, 2014 - The Richard Dawkins Foundation
- Emotional Pain in Animals: An Invisible World of Hurt | Psychology Today
Recognizing the psychological effects of animal abuse.
- Neuroscience and Animal Sentience | PDF File | by Eleanor Boyle - March, 2009
- Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Animal Consciousness
"Descartes himself practiced and advocated vivisection (Descartes, Letter to Plempius, Feb 15 1638), and wrote in correspondence that the mechanical understanding of animals absolved people of any guilt for killing and eating animals. Mechanists who followed him (e.g. Malebranche) used Descartes' denial of reason and a soul to animals as a rationale for their belief that animals were incapable of suffering or emotion, and did not deserve moral consideration — justifying vivisection and other brutal treatment."
- Animal Emotions
- Culture and Cognitive Science
"It might seem that we can't settle on the question of whether culture shapes emotions without deciding between these theories of what emotions are. On the other hand, the evidence suggests that culture can influence every aspect of our emotional responses, and this suggests that, whatever emotions really are, culture can have an impact. It is open to debate whether the impact is sufficiently significant to warrant the conclusion that some emotions are social constructs."
- The Moral Status of Animals
- Animal consciousness | Wikipedia
- Animals have personalities, emotions and thoughts, just as humans do, UT Austin psychologist says
August 1, 2001 | University of Texas News
- Do Animals Have Feelings? | by Jamie Talan | Scientific American Mind
"Animals don't have to have the same feelings humans do. They can be happy in different ways."
- History of Emotions | Max Planck Institute
- Emotions and The Body
- The Love of Animals
- Editorial by Anja Laukotter
"Fear, rage, love, jealously, pain, joy – Feelings are a part of everyday human life. They define our being; they are our motivation and our guides, but also obstacles for our actions. Emotions and their concepts are therefore not static, but are dependent on time and space; they are culturally formed and socially learned. Emotions are historically mutable: they have a history."
- The Nature of Emotion | PDF File (9.17MB) - NYU
- Projects: RVC Animal Welfare Science and Ethics | Royal Veterinary College - University of London
- Abstract: Attitude Toward Animals: Origin and Diversity | ResearchGate
PDF download available | by Harold A. Herzog, Jr. and Gordon M. Burghardt
- The Origins of Empathy and Altruism | PDF File | National Institute of Mental Health
Authors: Carolyn Zahn-Waxler, Barbara Hollenbeck, and Marian Radke-Yarrow
- Animal Studies Bibliography - Michigan State University
- The Motivational Bases of Attitudes Toward Animals | PDF File
By Adelma M. Hills - Edith Cowen University - Australia
"Empirical studies on the human-animal relationship tend to be fragmented, according
to the focus of different disciplines, each of which emphasizes specific practical
issues. This has resulted in an abundance of descriptive information, but a lack of
a theoretical infrastructure with which to organize, explain, and understand
empirical results so they can be more effectively utilized."
- The JRank Psychology Encyclopedia
- The Need for Humane Education | World Animal Net
'Sentience' is the ability to experience consciousness, feelings and perceptions; including the ability to experience pain, suffering and states of wellbeing.
- The Animal-Cruelty Syndrome | June 11, 2010 - The New York Times
- ISAZ: International Society for Anthrozoology
The study of the interactions between human and non-human animals.
- Becoming Nature: Learning the Language of Wild Animals and Plants
By Tamarack Song | Amazon
- Anthrozoos - A Multidisciplinary Journal of the Interactions of People and Animals
- Anthrozoos - ResearchGate
- IAHAIO: The International Association of Human Animal Interaction
- Acknowledging the “Zoological Connection”: A Sociological Analysis of Animal Cruelty
PDF File | by Clifton P. Flynn - Commentary
E-Mail Suggestions, Comments -- Add a Link, a Resource